Burst or Frozen Pipe? Epic Plumbing, LLC in Kansas City Can Help
Winters in the Midwest can get frigid, and those sub-freezing temperatures can cause frozen pipes. In some instances, frozen pipes can end up bursting and causing you a great deal of trouble. A frozen pipe burst can cause leaks, home damage, and burst water pipe repair costs for a homeowner. Follow the tips below to try to avoid your water pipes freezing in the winter, but if it’s too late, call Epic Plumbing, LLC for fast pipe repair service.
Why Is it Bad for Pipes to Freeze?
Water expands as it freezes, so if the water in your pipe freezes, it is going to put an immense amount of pressure on the pipe itself. This often leads to the pipe cracking or breaking entirely, regardless of whether the pipe is metal or plastic. This can cause leaks, floods, damage to walls, and damage to your entire home.
If the pipe is not repaired quickly, you will face other problems. For instance, in addition to the pipe repair, you could have to repair walls, flooring, or other parts of your home and replace ruined property. That will cost more money and require additional cleanup services in order to get the situation resolved. Fixing a burst pipe is something that a professional will likely have to handle for you. Call a licensed plumber at Epic Plumbing, LLC for burst pipe repair.
What Pipes Are Most at Risk for Freezing?
Generally, any of your pipes that are exposed to colder temperatures are going to be at risk of freezing. Though if it gets cold enough, any pipe is at risk. Your outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, water supply pipes in basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets, and pipes that are against exterior walls with little to no insulation are all high-risk for freezing when the temperature drops.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
There are several precautions you can take to prevent your pipes from freezing in Kansas City’s winter weather. Do not put antifreeze in your pipes – antifreeze is harmful to the environment as well as dangerous to animals, people, and landscaping. Follow these tips instead:
- Drain water from swimming pool and sprinkler supply lines. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Add insulation to your attics, basements, and crawl spaces to maintain higher temperatures.
- Check around your home for areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas—look in your garage and under your kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in those areas should be insulated.
- Remove, drain, and store your outdoor hoses and close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs.
- Install products made to insulate water pipes, like a pipe sleeve or heat tape – even simply using newspaper as insulation can provide a measurable amount of protection in areas that won’t be exposed to freezing temperatures for a prolonged amount of time.
- Keep garage doors closed if you have water supply lines in the garage.
- Leave your kitchen and bathroom cabinets open to allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes.
- If you are anticipating extremely cold temperatures, leave the cold water dripping from a faucet that’s served by exposed pipes.
- Leave your thermostat a little higher during the night than you usually would – spend a little bit more on your heating bill but prevent a more costly repair job.
How Do You Know if You Have a Burst Pipe?
There are several signs that you have a burst pipe that needs attention. One major signal is a sudden, unexpected drop in your water pressure. Finding watermarks on your drywall or standing water in your home are other indications that the cold weather has left you with burst pipes. If you hear strange sounds coming from your plumbing, such as gurgling or whistling noises, this could also indicate a burst pipe in your system.
Call Epic Plumbing, LLC for Frozen Pipe Repair in Kansas City
To avoid dealing with pipe break repair, follow the recommendations above. However, there will be times when nothing you do will stop your pipes from freezing in Kansas City’s colder months.
When the weather drops, pipes can freeze, causing enormous issues for homeowners and business owners. For help fixing frozen pipes, you can reach out to Epic Plumbing, LLC. Our expert plumbers can find the source of your trouble when it comes to frozen and burst pipes. Call us today!